The Director is elected by the EC among the Italian academic member representatives serving their university on a full time basis. The Director is nominated by the Rector of the administrating university. The Director serves for a three-year term and may not be re-elected more than once consecutively.The Director has the following responsibilities:
- to represent the Centre by mandate,
- to convene and preside over the EC and GA meetings,
- to submit the EC’s budget estimate, accounts and resolutions to the GA for consideration and approval,
- to deliver an annual report to the member institutions concerning the Centre’s activities for the year,
- to supervise the Centre’s overall operation and pursue its general interests.